Friday, March 11, 2016

I'm done lamenting, here is the good

Three posts this week.  When I think I really think, and when I feel I really feel everything, every possible emotion, and probably some that no one knows exist, or at least can’t be expressed in the English language.

            I said I wanted to see a better world, but neglected to say how we can make it be, and how some people are making the world better, even if in small ways for one small person.  I need to be positive, and really I am.  I also said earlier that life seems to counterbalance the good with the bad, but that doesn’t mean we can’t counterbalance the bad with good ourselves.  We just need to make the choice to.
            I’ve come to the realization that I don’t have any real friends.  This does not make me sad or lonely.  It in fact makes me incredibly comforted that I don’t have friends, because I have family.  Those that were once friends mean far more to me than I ever imagined they would.
            I’m terrible at making friends, absolutely terrible.  I was never the kid on the playground that said “Will you be my friend?” or excitedly said “Let’s be friends!”  I was the kid who heard those questions and awkwardly said okay and waited for them to lead so I could follow.
            I’ve always been the person to accept friendship but never ask for it, even when I was in college.  If I was ever a leader before then I didn’t know it.  I cannot express enough how gracious I am that people accept me and love me even when I don’t love myself.  I am so enormously gracious to have so many people in my life that found me, people that want me in their lives and have loved me and reached out to me when I hardly had a word to say.  I’m often introverted and quiet, sometimes timid.  I care way more about things than I ever express in person.  I want to say thank you ten times more than I ever do to everyone I know.
            My friends are my family.  Treat everyone you know as your family, and know that even if a person doesn’t say thank you, even if they never have anything more than a hug to offer, be their family.  Be their family when they can’t muster a hug or even a glance.   Just be family.  Just love and try to love more than you think you can.  English only has one word for love, but many languages have ten or scores more.  Learn that there are so many different kinds of love, and please, please, please try to understand the people who don’t show love.  Sometimes I feel like I’m not understood, but as I said, there are amazing people who have fallen into my life and they don’t make me feel that way, I make myself feel that way.  I feel like I’m not good enough sometimes, but I have so many positive influences that I’ve been made to know that I am regardless of what I think.  Everyone, every person in the world is enough and every person is worth loving, they just don’t all know.  Let them know it.
            I happened across this article just minutes after writing this post.  It perfectly echoes how I feel.  If you think you’ve read too much today or don’t have the time save the article for later.  Or read it later simply so it doesn’t overshadow my own meager words.  Maybe my words aren’t meager; I’m still trying to figure that out.  At least I know some people don't think so.




No comments:

Post a Comment