Two movies based on real events have nearly made me cry
in two days (Spotlight and October Sky).
Perhaps there are too many things to be emotional about lately. I almost never cry, and I mean never.
There are just too many negative things going on. It’s overwhelming to think about. Politics right now are a disgrace and embarrassment to our country. A few people I know are expecting to move soon. They mean everything to me and have become family to me in just a few years. Lastly, someone I didn’t know died recently in my apartment, a friend of my roommates.
I think what really bothers me overall is the way people treat each other. They harm others, take advantage of, they hit, they hurt; they intimidate and demean other people. They drive some people to hurt themselves. It’s not okay. The world we live in is not okay. What’s worse is sometimes we watch and accept the harm people can do to each other. Some of us even encourage and vote for it, though I’m not writing to discuss politics. Unfortunately I have deeper things to talk about; though it’s hard to measure what one ill is worse than another.
All I can do is try to write eloquently, and hope and pray that the pain everyone faces is not too much to bear. It was the second time someone has died in a house while I was in the next room over. This time I didn’t know the person. This time there was no rain, nothing to signify the depth and sorrow of this loss, just a person on the floor and tears in the eyes of those that did know him. I don’t want to live in a world where young people die this way, by overdosing, by circumstances that is seems could have been prevented. My mother died of cancer. Cancer makes life difficult, but it is not the mark of a difficult life in the way drug use often is.
That’s as eloquent as I can be right now. I just have to say this all really sucks. I don’t want to know and see that there is sadness in the world. It sucks for my roommates, their family and his far more than it does for me. I can’t fathom the things I know to be true. That’s a lie, unfortunately I can fathom the pain death brings, and other situations that make life seem so hard. I just wish I couldn’t. Here I sit, hoping my words will be enough, yet knowing they aren’t. But they are all I have in the fight against the ills of this world. All we can do is live the lives others didn’t get the chance to as best we can and hope it’s enough, hope that the best parts of them are carried on through us.
There are just too many negative things going on. It’s overwhelming to think about. Politics right now are a disgrace and embarrassment to our country. A few people I know are expecting to move soon. They mean everything to me and have become family to me in just a few years. Lastly, someone I didn’t know died recently in my apartment, a friend of my roommates.
I think what really bothers me overall is the way people treat each other. They harm others, take advantage of, they hit, they hurt; they intimidate and demean other people. They drive some people to hurt themselves. It’s not okay. The world we live in is not okay. What’s worse is sometimes we watch and accept the harm people can do to each other. Some of us even encourage and vote for it, though I’m not writing to discuss politics. Unfortunately I have deeper things to talk about; though it’s hard to measure what one ill is worse than another.
All I can do is try to write eloquently, and hope and pray that the pain everyone faces is not too much to bear. It was the second time someone has died in a house while I was in the next room over. This time I didn’t know the person. This time there was no rain, nothing to signify the depth and sorrow of this loss, just a person on the floor and tears in the eyes of those that did know him. I don’t want to live in a world where young people die this way, by overdosing, by circumstances that is seems could have been prevented. My mother died of cancer. Cancer makes life difficult, but it is not the mark of a difficult life in the way drug use often is.
That’s as eloquent as I can be right now. I just have to say this all really sucks. I don’t want to know and see that there is sadness in the world. It sucks for my roommates, their family and his far more than it does for me. I can’t fathom the things I know to be true. That’s a lie, unfortunately I can fathom the pain death brings, and other situations that make life seem so hard. I just wish I couldn’t. Here I sit, hoping my words will be enough, yet knowing they aren’t. But they are all I have in the fight against the ills of this world. All we can do is live the lives others didn’t get the chance to as best we can and hope it’s enough, hope that the best parts of them are carried on through us.
No comments:
Post a Comment